07 July 2007

The Filipino-American Truth

Having the experience to explore the Philippines for the very first time in my life has been like a Great Awakening. It has finally been brought to my attention that there are so many differences between this country and those of the western culture. Everyday, when were driving through the city and the barrios, I observe the building structures of where these locals live. Some people have huge well-designed houses, while others rely on plastic and metal frames for their domestic protection and shelter. This has definitely impacted my perception of thier way of living. I feel so helpless when seeing the children bath along a waterpump, or a 2 year old girl walking around the streets barefooted. This experience helped me to realize that life and it's many features and amenities should not be taken for granted. One of the main concerns are our homes, food, and clothes. I have taken these things for granted my entire life, and being here for the first week already live through how difficult it is just to have clean underwear! Furthermore, as I continue to explore Bagiou City tomorrow, I will hopefully come across something I can add on to my Philippine Tour.

Above Photo: Iloilo, PH - Two schoolboys from Collegio De S. Corazon De Jesus overlooking the ocean during thier lunch break.

No comments: