04 June 2007

My Eyes On Gay Marriage.

I got an email yesterday from KHALELIAN yesterdasy asking me to discuss my opinion on the ever-so-dear subject of GAY MARRIAGE. I was actually at the movie theaters when I got that email from my Palm, and when I retrieved it, I was in a state of comtemplating. What is my belief about gay marriage?. Anyway, KHALELIAN, the author of HUSH AND LISTEN, asked if I could submit a comment on his blog. Instead, I'm just going to dedicate a post about it. Here it goes...

First off, I believe that there are two sub-categories regarding gay marriage. One needs to think about where or under what circumstances is this marriage going to take place. Is it going to be a union in front of the eyes of God, and be taken in a church? Or is it going to fall under the hands of the political spectrum and be a legal issue? I believe that either way, marriage should be a result of reason.

I hope, that most of this reason derives in the form of love. Two hearts, one love. Simple right? Wrong. It gets complicated. Most of the time, other environmental factors affect the union of two men, or two women. There's the family, then the religion, and is some cases, employment can be a struggle. In the structural-social ladder of society, homosexuals are still struggling to be considered "normal people." Many tv shows and newspaper editorials are dedicated to humiliating the gay community, while or even mocking them, stating that it's a "disease" to be gay. No matter where you go, something will push down the gay community, especially gay marriage.

When it comes to marriage, the first thing I think of is committment. Being committed to someone, whether it is man to woman or man to man, should always start off with a base. Base of love, history, experience, romance, etc., Basically, KNOW WHO YOU'RE MARRYING. It's a struggle to try to introduce gay marriage to society, yet another when you are actually the fool, knowing that you are not going to be committed to the man/woman you are about to say "I DO" to. But this goes for anyone, not just 'the gays.'

Another issue that society is concerned about regarding gay marriage is 'the children.' The media has been a key source in portraying gay actions and behavior in magazines, television, movies, music videos (thanks to xtina), which only means that the word "gay" doesn't have to be whispered as much anymore. Children are a great part of our future and if they are willing to accept homosexuality at a young age, I would hope that by the time they make important decisions for themselves as well as for the general population, that homosexuality would also be acceptable.

We're already seeing it everyday: gay senator, gay actor, gay talk show hosts (Rosie and Ellen), and we're still waiting on Clay Aiken! But the truth is, were evolving. The gay community is evolving from the people known as the carriers of AIDS to the people who took over Design TV. So why is it that when the words "GAY" and "MARRIAGE" are in the same sentence, everyone stops what their doing and make a huge deal about it? For me, its curiosity for change. I honestly don't know what the gay community is like in other countries besides the US, but from where I come from, the common population would rather ask themselves, "Should I risk my life by having a gay friend?


Ollie and Jaybe's 2nd Year Anniversary

Now looking at this issue at a more personal point, I do support the idea of gay marriage. I've been in a committed relationship with Jaybe for over 2 and a half years and our love for each other is still growing with new experiences. We already proved ourselves by being domestic partners for over a year, stating that IT CAN WORK OUT! I know that in order for a gay marriage to be successful requires a lot of TRUST and SUPPORT. We all know how easy it is to be tempted by other (attracted) people, but once you can overcome avoiding cheating or casual "hookups" then you're on the go for a great relationship. We also know that it can be hard getting that extra boost of support from some friends and family, but you'd want that relationship to work out, the bulk of it must come from the support from each other. Who knows? Jaybe and I may or may not become official husbands, but we do know that we don't need that official title for our love to be qualified.

Live it. Love it. Rock it.

5 comments:

Ahuh said...

I didn't chose to be a gay!!!

Wentle said...

ei thanks for droppin... ill check you blog thoroughly one of these days =) keep it up bud.

khalel said...

nOW HERE is my piece on this:

The only real grounds the debate has from the opposition's side is a religious stance, and as we have freedom of religion it should not be imposed upon individuals who are supposedly breaking the religious codes a punishment such as to deny them marriage. Because marriage is an economical agreement. Otherwise try to justify letting athiests, agnostics, people who don't go to church, murder's, rapists, and people who backtalked their parents once upon a time that same privilege. The bible condones several things (sexism, racism, and the like) that we obviously don't indulge in, but the few and far apart passages that can be INTERPRETED (as this is all anyone can do with the bible, since we didn't write it, did we?) are so heavily relied upon to bash homosexuals. And I do not believe homosexuality is a choice (so why not deny the disabled or mentally handicaped marriage, too?), but even if it were, we're free to make that choice in this country. So let us be free to accept the consequences of the choices we make, but do not tell us we can't make choices like marriage (and adoption if we so choose and are found qualified). Marriage has crossed social and racial lines, and I believe it is dangerously close to crossing gender lines. We just have to keep pushing as those before us did.

@ Ernesto, NO One Did chose to be Gay. It is never a choice.

John Halcyon von Rothschild said...

I'm so sick and tired of Conservatives lambasting gays of being promiscuous and immoral, but when we decide to get married to the man we love and adopt orphaned children, THEY oppose it! I think THAT is hypocrisy plain and simple. Gay Marriage is a threat to them because it sends a signal that we are no longer on the margins of society; that we exist and are well...normal... IMHO, the Church should not be forced to recognize gay marriage. But the State has an obligation to ALL of its citizens in encouraging EQUALITY FOR ALL. Marriage between two men or two women in the eyes of the State is a RIGHT. The method of pushing the gay marriage agenda, I feel, has been accelerated in the past few years partly because of the media and of the Conservative hysteria. I feel that for now, civil unions are a way for us to be married without having people raise eyebrows. It's a baby I step, I know. But the giant leaps will be easier once we prove them wrong.

Ahuh said...

What's new about britny???